Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Slow ebb of misery

A glimpse of a face twisted with pain. A furtive glance away, followed by a wrenching of the gut in sympathy. A few footfalls later I hear the sobbing. Recollect that the woman emerged from the passenger seat of a car. And immediately I begin to imagine.
Did she break up with her lover and is it he who is behind the wheel? Will he drive off now that she is safely deposited at home? And is he a gentleman for seeing her home so early in the morning, or a brute for breaking it off with her and causing such pain?
Then I hear the car backing into a parking space along the side of the street. I hazard a glance over one shoulder and see an older man, maybe fifty, cross the street to follow the woman into a house. His shoulders are hunched, hands in his pockets.

Now I think:
Did she call Dad to rescue her from the lover who jilted her? Or am I totally wrong and she's a a minor whom Dad has just rescued from a jail cell, the poor girl unlucky enough to have been picked up for underage drinking? Or maybe Dad and daughter simply quarrelled.
Of course the myriad theories occupied me most of the morning. 'Tis the fate of the writer, is it not? To question and wonder and imagine.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Annie said...

Wow, Eva! That first paragraph - what a masterful piece of writing. Never mind the writer questioning and wondering, this reader was hooked!

7:06 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heartily agree with Annie, though I curse you, Eva because now I'mwondering what is going on...are they coming back from a funeral? The hospital?

Listen, I think it's best for all of us if you use that amazing writer's brain for us, write a story and let us know what happened to these people.

2:52 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Get behind me in the line, girls. The moment Eva writes anything it's coming to me first-- got that?

She's a girl who could make a shopping list sound lyrical.

4:45 pm  
Blogger Susan Rix said...

I agree, a fantastic piece of writing! I'm hooked too - Eva, you can't leave us wondering, please write their story.

Sue :-)

8:06 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

India, I never mess with a boa-wearing, cake-eating woman. I'm behind you...all the way behind you!

1:03 pm  
Blogger Eva said...

Thanks, girls, you're the best!

The funny thing is...until I was having a rather bleak day (no doubt due to the moon and its phases, if you know what I mean)...did I consider the more tragic scenarios Brown mentioned: hospitals, emergency rooms, etc.

If I do decide to write their story, I won't go there...uh uh.

1:58 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home