Saturday, February 24, 2007

Book Review

What I'd really like to do is provide a review of my critique partner's latest offering (you'll all love it, believe me!); however, since her editor has not yet finished with the manuscript, I'd better keep mum and instead tell you about another romance I recently read.

Greville
Lord Greville's Captive

The book title is a misnomer. Or, at the very least, the contraction is misleading. For it is not the heroine of Nicola Cornick's latest contribution to the Harlequin Historicals line who is in thrall to her conqueror but the exact opposite: It is Lord Greville who is the captive.

Throughout Cornick's tale, set during the English Civil War, it is Lady Anne Grafton who commands attention. From the moment she strides into the enemies' camp to bargain for the safety of her people — in a masterful first chapter told from the hero's perspective — the reader is held spellbound by the lady's pluck and courage. I found myself falling in love with both characters: he for his strength, might and utter masculinity (to-die-for, girls!), and she for her strength of mind and purpose.

Grafton and Greville are on opposing sides of the war, Lady Anne holding fast to fealty to her king and to a promise, and Simon Greville to the right of the people to stand together against tyranny. Will their differences keep them apart? (Surely they will). Will love conquer all? (Of course it will.) You may know how the story ends but it's the struggle to get there that counts, and I promise you'll not be disappointed. This 17th-century tale, just what I ordered in fact, is replete with tension, adventure and, best of all, passion galore.

For those of you in the UK who have Cornick's highly acclaimed Regency romp Deceived on your wish list, word has it that the UK edition is out this month. Don't miss it or Lord Greville's Captive.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa, great review. It's on my list, now!

4:29 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds fabulous, Eva. As I'm in a little period of limbo between finishing one book and starting another (hopefully by the end of the week) I was really in the mood for something historical, but have just got into Phillippa Gregory's The Other Boleyn Girl. If I wasn't enjoying it so much I'd be kicking myself for not picking up Nicola Cornick... Oh well, I'll just have to get it in for next time!

6:01 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hooray! Blogger loves me again!

6:02 pm  
Blogger Eva said...

Welcome back, India!

Several people have recommended Philippa Gregory's novels. I must give them a try.

6:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home