Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Oooh, the loveliness.

Ooops, I forgot it was my turn to post. Sorry! And the bad news is that an overdose of joy and excitement at the weekend has left me far too excited to frame a coherent sentence. Here is a brief summary of the headlines.
  • I have a title for book 2. The story of Angelo and Anna is going to be released in January 2008 and will be called 'The Italian's Captive Virgin'. Oh yes. I have ten months to get used to saying the word 'virgin' to elderly relatives and teachers at school without blushing.
  • I have a book. A real book, with a hard, shiny cover (I think these are library copies) with a verrrrry glamorous couple welded together on the front and MY NAME right there beneath the bit where it says 'The Italian's Defiant Mistress'. Apparently this means that people other than Eva and my lovely editor in Richmond are soon going to be able to read the stuff I've written. This is very exciting, but it also makes me feel a bit like I've swallowed a porcupine.
  • As if that wasn't enough, I spent a fabulous Sunday afternoon at the very beautiful home of Susan Stephens (Presents author, Modern-xtra author, extreme glamour goddess, top hostess and all round exceptionally Nice Person) as she gave a party to say goodbye to Amanda Ashby (writing guru, soon-to-be-published literary genius, like-minded domestic slattern and total gem). The saying goodbye bit was all a bit too sad to dwell on, so for the most part we didn't and we got on with what writers do best; we talked about writing (At least, I think that's what I do best. I always find writing so easy to talk about and yet so oddly difficult to do.) Annie was supposed to be there too, but was struck down en route with The Head and couldn't make it, so it fell to me to eat, drink and talk enough for two scribes. This wasn't too onerous a task as the party included Amanda Grange-- the beauty and the brains behind Darcy's Diary and Mr Knightley's Diary, and Pat one of Amanda's famed 'witches' who was every bit as lovely and entertaining as I'd expected from reading Amanda's blog! But as a novice in the Presents stable it was particularly thrilling for me to meet another longstanding Presents heroine of mine-- Kate Walker. Eeeeek!!!!! Thanks to the fact that she is as generous as she is warm, wise and wonderful I was spared the humiliation of asking for her autograph on the back of a Sainsbury's receipt or something when she gave me one of her books and signed it too. Double Eeeeekkk!!!
  • So, not only am I currently reading and nearly finished Susan Stephens 'One Night Baby' (gorgeous cover, contents even more gorgeous, plot twist that made me gasp), I now also have on my tbr pile a Kate Walker 'At the Sheikh's Command' (signed-- with my pen!) and hot off the press, Sue's new Modern Xtra 'Dirty Weekend'. And herein lies the cloud behind the lovely, shimmery silver lining of my weekend-- what should I pick first? I'm thinking I might have to employ a similar technique to the one I used on Sunday when faced with the pavlova and the chocolate pudding. Both at once...

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Eva said...

What a wonderful weekend! It sounds glorious. And, imagine, your name on the cover of a book! Wow!!

I am dying to see the cover, in fact. Please scan us a copy and I'll be more than thrilled to post it here.

I think it utterly bad form to read two books at once - my daughter does it all the time and it drives me batty - so I suggest you use another, very different tactic of hers: the time-honoured "ip dip dip" (otherwise known on this side of the pond as "eeny, meeny, miny, moe").

6:07 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second Eva: scan & post. Itching to see your name in print.

And the weekend sounds like it was a blast.

As for the 2 books at a time, I hear that only works if you also eat 2 desserts at the same time you're reading the books. I also heard the calories don't count when you're doing this.

7:26 pm  
Blogger Kate Walker said...

Oh India - now you're making me blush! Thank you for the wonderful compliments but it was just a delight to meet you and talk with you. Wasn't it a fabulous afternoon?

I would have signed a Sainsbury receipt for you if you'd wanted - but I'm glad that Sue suggested I should bring along some spare books - it was much nicer that way.

Hope to see you again soon - and please say Hi to Annie for me - I met her at RNA

And congratulations once again on books 1 & 2 - here's to many more

Kate

8:43 pm  
Blogger Annie said...

Can't wait to see the book, India. Also can't wait to receive the doggy bag that I know you will have procured for me from The Party.

Now must go and pop over to my friend, Kate Walker's blog and return her greeting.

9:11 pm  
Blogger Stacy Dawn said...

Oh wow, what a weekend! Are you even breathing yet!

Congratulations and I'm adding in my plea to get us a looksy at that cover!!

11:44 pm  
Blogger Lee said...

India, I'll add my voice to the crowd too - I'm very eager to see the cover of your book and read it too! You'll have to share when it will be out in the North American market so I can mark my calendar!

Have to also add I just finished reading ONE NIGHT BABY by Susan Stephens yesterday and it is purely delightful! Over 24 hours later and I'm still sighing over Santino Rossi. :)

11:49 pm  
Blogger Amanda Ashby said...

Well don't mean to boast but I HAVE seen the cover of India's book and I have it my hot little hands. Okay, who am I kidding, I TOTALLY meant to boast there!!!

Anyway, it IS gorgeous - especially the hero who looks remarkably like Daniel from Ugly Betty and I mean this is a VERY good way!!!!!

Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to read it until I get all of my work done, but because I never listen to myself I have secretly started to read it. Sssh, though because my strict side might be listening!!

7:43 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Kate, I would say hi to Annie for you, but unlike me she's very overexciteable and would only shriek incoherently. Really, I think it's best we leave her quietly in her corner for now...

And Eva, Brown, Stacey and Lee-- it's so nice of you to be interested in seeing the cover, and I'd like to pretend that I'm being mysterious and keeping it secret as part of some stunning PR coup, but the sad truth is I'm about as likely to be able to take the item that is on the desk in front of me and make it appear on the computer screen as I am to invent a cure for cellulite.

I could do you a sketch? Or describe it very closely? Amanda's spot on with the Daniel Meade thing, (we were both rather delighted about that)and the girl in Daniel's arms is wearing a gorgeous whisp of gold, and they're standing on a bridge and the sky is...

Damn, this just isn't working, is it? Eva, how do you scan things?

9:52 am  
Blogger Eva said...

Eek! Who in Cheshire has a scanner? Annie? Penny? Shall I hook you up with people I know in the area with the right peripherals?!

I am quite desperate, you realize.

Or how about your editor? Could she possibly put me, and this long line behind me, out of our collective misery?

Or, blimey, just send me a copy! It only takes five to seven days...gasp, sigh...

1:09 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's in the post Eva-- although obviously the urgency has now been allieviated by Amanda's excessive brilliance. And let's just think about that for a moment shall we... she writes fab books, she knows the offside rule in football, she's gorgeous AND she can do tecchy computer stuff....

Yeah. Maybe I'm not sorry she's moving to the other side of the world after all....

12:49 pm  
Blogger Eva said...

What a relief!

And, what's that you say, India...it's in the post? Wow!!! I can't wait!!!!!!!

6:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home