Sunday, April 08, 2007

Happy Easter, Happy Spring

Easter weekend. Hidden treasures buried in the grass - or snow, in our case.

I haven't been searching for eggs, this weekend, but movies. And it's as though the planets have aligned for me. I've been treated to movies I haven't seen in years, but absolutely loved: Sleepless in Seattle, Anne of Green Gables, Innerspace, You've Got Mail.

What is it about these movies, that even though time has passed and I can almost recite them word for word, each time I watch it, it's like seeing it for the first time. What is the tie that binds them to me?

Plot? I doubt it. Let's face it, the adventures of Anne Shirley, an orphan trying to find her way in the world, is far different from Innerspace's Jack Putter, a hapless & hypochondriac store clerk.

Setting? Well, Anne takes place in PEI, and the scenery is fabulous. Innerspace's location are the insides of the human body. Most of You've was a store, and Sleepless is a house & plane.

Dialogue? That definitely plays a part. Between Anne (Anne), Kathleen (You've...), Sam (Sleepless) and Jack (Innerspace), the lines are quick, clever, leaving you laughing one minute, tears in your eyes, the next.

There's the physical comedy, too, of which Martin Short is the hands-down King.

But you know what I think it is? Character.

Whether it's Jack, Anne, Sam, doesn't matter. I'm rooting for all of them, cheering them on. And even though I know they're going to be fine, and the ending is happy, I'm still devastated when Anne loses her friendship with Diana, or Joe thinks Kathleen will never love him.

Character, personality. I see myself in them, the parts I want to be, and the parts that I wish I wasn't.

Good movies are like old friends. Who cares if I've heard the story over and over again? I'm just happy to hear their voices and to relive the moments.

I hope that one day, I can write like that....that my book will sit on someone's shelf and be all dog-earred and stained because of all the times the person's read it.

Happy Easter, everyone. Wishing you blue skies, warm breezes, and great movies.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Eva said...

Happy Easter to you too, Brown.

We watched Borat the other evening. Some of the lines and images have stayed with me, but for other reasons than the ones you list. Particularly the "wrestling" scene.

Is it okay if when I read a book again (or re-view a movie) I opt to skip the nasty bits?

5:18 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely skip the yucky parts. It's was the fast-forward button was invented for.

11:24 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Didn't manage to catch ANY easter weekend movies, thanks to an influx of male family members who wanted to watch GOLF.

Now rugby, yes please. Football if you absolutely must-- after all it only lasts for 90 minutes or something. But GOLF?? 3 DAYS of middle aged men in fancy dress meandering around a park? No wonder I sought solace in chocolate.

Feel I am owed several girlie movies in payment. Where shall I start?

9:53 am  
Blogger Eva said...

How about Pretty Woman, completely unbelievable - starting with Julia Roberts's body - but an all-time favourite of mine.

2:00 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good suggestion, Eva. I'm also quite keen to pick something historical, as men seem to hate all those frock coats and frilly dresses (and this is about vengeance,after all.) I still haven't seen the Kiera Knightley version of Pride and Prejudice we were going to go to together if you hadn't left England at just the wrong time.

This, I feel, is the perfect opportunity...

9:34 pm  
Blogger Eva said...

Great idea. I enjoyed the movie. It didn't stay long in the cinemas over here, so hubby and I watched it on DVD at home. I probably had to agree to watch a spy thriller in exchange (and no doubt fell promptly asleep).

Enjoy!

1:13 pm  
Blogger Danielle Marie Peck said...

I love all the movies you mentioned but I think my all time favorite is While You Were Sleeping. I'm not sure why but that's my comfort movie; the movie I watch when I'm sad or sick or just needing comfort in general.

Maybe it's because that family is so much like mine that it makes me feel like I'm home.

7:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home