Monday, November 06, 2006

It's all in the stars

When I was at the RNA conference earlier this year, several people recommended the use of an astrology book as a helpful aid to 'knowing your character'. So, when I was in a book store recently, I actually remembered to seek out such a book and consider its virtues for myself. Naturally, I couldn't remember the title of the book nor the author but happened upon one called 'Love Stars' by Claire Petulengro - 'Astrologer for Express and OK!'. Within minutes of picking the book up, I was hooked - it gives not only the general characteristics of each star sign but also which star sign is suited to which, what sort of job they may hold, what sort of mother-in-law they may make, what sort of friend they are and what their sexual needs might be! In other words, everything you need to know about your character and what makes him or her tick. Equally naturally, the copy I held in my hands was the only one on the shelf and well-thumbed. 'Go and ask them if they have a better copy in stock,' advised my husband. Off I trotted and obediently asked the question. 'No,' the assistant replied, 'I'm afriad we don't. We only have that one. I can give you ten per cent off that copy if you like, or order you a new one.' As the book was only meant for me and as I was in Cheltenham at the time (about 150 miles south of home), I decided I didn't mind if the book was slightly dog-eared. It was only going to go further in the same direction once I got it home after all (I'm not one to preserve my books, especially reference books, they are there to be used, not to look pretty). My husband then said I was the only person he knew who would haggle over the price of a book in Waterstones. I pointed out to him that I was not haggling, merely following his suggestion, to which he responded with a boyish grin and a waggle of his eyebrows in a 'I know, you're so easy to lead astray', kind of way.

Naturally (word of the day in case you hadn't noticed) once home, I just had to read all about me - an Aries. And what did it say? It said I could be led into something, and that I could be tight with money - though did add 'but there is usually a good reason for it'. How right you are Ms Petulengro - what better reason than getting ten per cent off a book?

Labels:

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That reminds me - I have a little astrology book here somewhere that was especially written to help writers build their characters. I must dig it out (am I the only one who loses things when I tidy up?)

7:49 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Remind me to ask your husband to waggle his eyebrows for me sometime. Is there no end to his talents?

9:31 am  
Blogger Amanda Ashby said...

Hey, I'm an Aries as well! Not that I like to win or anything but it is nice being first in the line-up (and okay, who am I kidding? I LOVE to win).

Oh, and Annie, you've really got to read Sun Signs by Linda Goodman - I promise you won't regret it.

9:40 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crikey! I think I've got 'Sun Signs' hidden away somewhere too. I really need a bigger house - I'm sure I'd be far tidier then!

2:20 pm  
Blogger Susan Rix said...

What an excellent idea to help create rounded characters.

Sharon, I lose things when I tidy up as well - I had two copies of Woman's Weekly for the M&B comp. Hubby has his, and mine's disappeared (in one of my 'safe' places):-/

Sue :-)

2:46 pm  
Blogger Annie said...

I expect your habit of losing things is the fault of the star sign you were born under, Sharon J. Perhaps Sue shares the same sign?

It is nice being at the front of the queue, isn't it, Amanda? Especially when your surname begins with 'W' and so you're always at the back of every other queue. Not that you have that trouble of course! Will keep an eye open (maybe even two) for Sun Signs. What's the difference between Sun and Star signs by the way?

No, there is no end to my husband's talents, India. That's why I married him. And, by the way, he only waggles for me.

8:46 pm  
Blogger Susan Rix said...

LOL Annie, you could be on to something there. I'm a typical bull-in-the-china-shop, stubborn, and scatty Taurean!

Sue :-)

9:03 pm  
Blogger Eva said...

Sharon, it's the book with the crazy stylish shoes on it, am I right?

Perfectly Balanced Libra, here

5:36 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's the one, Eva.

I'm a virgo - I'm not supposed to do untidy, am I?

10:22 pm  
Blogger Amanda Ashby said...

Hahaha - Annie, I actually meant we were at the front of the zodiac, though I must admit it's nice having an A last name as well (since us Aries can be a tad impatient at times)

3:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home