Monday, October 30, 2006

Published writer by 40...?

...think again.

A couple of weeks ago I received a beautifully written rejection letter from Mills & Boon, lauding my talent as a writer, the "fire and originality of my voice", and my command of history. It really is a very inspiring letter, obviously written after careful deliberation, and it is clear the writer of the note thoroughly read and enjoyed my book (in fact, she says so herself!).

Now, that is something! I'm sure we've all seen (well...except for India!) the other type of rejection letter, composed of one or two lines, perhaps sent in record time so you're skeptical the submission was even opened, let alone read.

Well, not this time. In fact, this letter, although ending with encouragement and a request to continue submitting, did confirm one thing: Romance-writing is not for me. (Although—dash it!—I'll miss creating heroes like Ashington, whom the editors loved for his "derring-do", and is reputedly "just the right side of alpha".) I believe I'll take my finely drawn secondary characters, the adventure, and the historical detail, all more appropriate to a "larger canvas", back to historical fiction writing. After all, the editors admit they felt like they were "reading a big, meaty nineteenth-century novel".

Look out Tracy Chevalier, Rose Tremain, or...wait, hang on a minute, what about the young adult work I've been thinking about...J. K Rowling!

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Amanda Ashby said...

Eva, hugs on the rejection but yay that it was such a great one - and even bigger yay that it helped show you the sort of books you really want to write.

5:39 pm  
Blogger Susan Rix said...

Wow Eva, that is one successful rejection letter you have there! Hugs on the disappointment but WOW on the comments that the editors made.

Are you certain that romance writing isn't for you? I don't think they would encourage you to continue submitting if they thought that.

Best wishes for whatever your instincts tell you to write next. Your success is just around the corner, I can feel it.

Sue :-)

6:16 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes it takes something like this to point us in the right direction and I do so hope you've found yours now.

Good luck with whatever you write next.

10:41 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Having been lucky enough to read both the novel itself and the exceptionally positive rejection letter I can say with utter certainty that success is just a matter of time.

Am so, so excited about reading future work, Eva. Just don't leave me hanging on too long!!

11:18 am  
Blogger Eva said...

Thanks so much for all your encouragement. You guys are great!

5:52 pm  
Blogger Annie said...

Sorry, sorry, sorry - late as usual. No holiday to blame, merely my 92 year old aunt requiring some attention following a hip replacement operation.

Anyway, I totally agree with all the above comments. Having seen your writing, Eva, I am in no doubt whatsoever that you are a writer of immense talent - whether it be in romance or another genre. Certainly the rl supports that and even though you didn't get an offer this time, it is without doubt the most encouraging rl I've ever seen and therefore only a matter of time and finding the right agent/publisher to take you all the way.

Well done for acheiving so much already and here's to the next step along the way. (oh, forgot, you need to have a glass of something in your hand at this point - cheers!)

8:03 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry about the rejection, but keep trying. Historical fiction is supposedly on the upswing, so maybe you'll find the right home for your book yet. Good luck!

11:47 am  
Blogger Liz Fielding said...

What an amazing rejection letter. Your writing clearly burns off the page but the ed who read our work clearly thinks you need a broader canvas. I'm trying very hard to think of another author who was told this -- and became wildly successful in mainstream. But it's Saturday and I haven't had tea yet. Unloose your stays, Eva, let rip! And good luck.

8:39 am  
Blogger Eva said...

Thanks, Liz. It is good news, isn't it?

1:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home