Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Those of you who visit Amanda Ashby's blog will have noticed her recent excited allusions to the RNA's annual conference, which is being held on 7th-9th July at Penrith. As a member of the RNA's NWS (New Writers' Scheme) and a resident of the north-west of England, I will be attending this star-studded event myself for the first time this year and, like Amanda, I'm getting quite excited. Not least because amongst the line up of stars that I shall be mingling with will be published authors such as Katie Fforde and Penny Jordan, as well as editors and agents.

Having received my 'conference pack' a couple of weeks ago, I had to decide which of the 20 workshops I wished to attend. These range from Ann Lingard's 'Is Science Sexy' to Sue Johnson's 'Banish the Curse of Writer's Block'. Of the six I am attending, I shall learn how to arrest the editor's attention, find out what literary agents are looking for, build a synopsis and create a sense of place through characters. I shall also be finding out what life in the Hollywood Story Department is like, as well as entering the world of the People's Friend magazine - you can't get much more diverse than that!

And if I can't make it after all that, then I'll eat all the leftovers when the conference ends!

If you're a romance writer and haven't yet joined the RNA, either as a published or unpublished writer - get to it. I cannot recommend their friendly support and organised opportunities to meet, mingle and learn from other writers, highly enough. As I said to my husband after a writery party at a particularly well-known writer's home last summer - if I never get published, I will certainly have had a lot of fun trying!

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Jealous? (tinkling, ladylike laughter) Why of course I'm not jealous, Annie! Me? Why would I be jealous of you at the lovely star-studded, pink, glittery romantic writery event when I'm going to be enjoying the glamour and excitment of the school summer fair? There'll be face painting. And Hooking the Duck, and a real fire engine. So, you see, I have nothing at all to be jealous about...

(stamps off to hack viciously at vegetables for children's tea)

5:05 pm  
Blogger Amanda Ashby said...

Imogen, I'm afraid to say that Annie didn't even mention the most exciting part of the conference. THERE WON'T BE ANY CHILDREN. For three whole days. To be honest I'd probably still be going even if it was the local plasters' convention. Then again, that might be a bit too much builder's bum for one girl too handle, but all same, the RNA one is going to be wicked.

6:01 pm  
Blogger Eva said...

Travelling around Southwestern Ontario, Canada with my nine-year-old, I, too, must concede defeat to the green-eyed monster. However, Imogen, I now live in North America, whereas you still live in England. Why not join the RNA and at least make next year's conference if not this one? (Are there any tickets left, Annie and Amanda? Perhaps Penny can pull a few strings?!)

[signing off to return to yet another game of ludo with my CHILD, followed by the latest episode of Canadian Idol]

12:40 am  
Blogger Eva said...

You do promise to provide a comprehensive report, right, Annie?

12:40 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would if it weren't so bloomin' expensive! The membership fee for unpublished writers is just too high for me to consider at the moment I'm afraid.

Hope you enjoy the conference. I'm sure it'll be fun :)

1:24 am  
Blogger Kate Walker said...

I'll see you and Amanda there then.

Do come and say Hello

Kate

6:59 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Membership to the RNA is capped at 250 new members a year, and this year they're full. I know all this because my lovely husband went to great lengths to try to organise membership for my birthday present (aided, as ever, by the perennially patient Penny!).

Oh well... I love the perfume too.

(Say hello to Kate from me as well you two. You won't enjoy yourselves as you'll be too busy taking notes in order to fulfill your obligations to your blog chums. There's no way you can hold that glass of champagne and the notebook and pen all at once, is there?)

9:36 am  
Blogger Annie said...

Well, you go away from the computer for a few hours and return to find green-eyed monsters all over the place! Sorry you guys, I promise I'll try not to have too much fun and I will write a comprehensive report after the event, Eva, and of course I won't drink too much champagne because I'll be far too busy working very hard at the workshops and networking the rest of the time.

Which reminds me - thank you Kate for visiting our blog - I look forward to meeting you at the conference (I'll be the one with her tongue tied in knots!).

Yes, Stacy, I believe the RNA and RWA are run along the same lines.

Here's a thought for Imogen - instead of hooking a duck, try hooking a fireman. I trust you are on the waiting list for the RNA (assuming they have such a thing)?As for taking notes whilst drinking champagne - it's not something I've tried before, but I'm sure with practice...

Amanda - are you sure there's no children? I mean, what are we going to eat?

11:15 am  
Blogger Eva said...

Imogen, your husband is such a sweetheart. Sorry the gift idea didn't work out. Are you on a waiting list?

11:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home