Saturday, June 03, 2006

Nosiness leads to Creativity

Being the nosy soul that I am, when two of Scribes' Sanctuary's most regular visitors, Stacy Holmes and MsCreativity, drew attention to a blog called The Writing Coach on their own blogs, I simply had to go and have a look at it for myself. And wow! Am I glad I did? (Silly question that really - if I wasn't glad, I'd hardly be writing this now, would I? Well, not unless I wanted to tell the world it was awful and be sued - which I don't - okay, Jacqui?) However, I digress (unusual I know, but these things happen). So, as I was saying, I went over to The Writing Coach and it is the most brilliant piece of writing instruction/motivation/inspiration I've ever come across - and, believe me, I've come across a lot in my time. In a nutshell, it's a 30-day programme designed by novelist and writing coach, Jacqui Lofthouse, aimed at getting you to write 1000 words a day - and it's definitely working for me.

Which is fortunate really, as I have to have my next novel ready for the RNA's New Writer's Scheme by the end of August. Assuming I continue with Jacqui's programme, I should have at least 30,000 words to offer up for their delectation - and the possibility of a complete first draft of 90,000- but that may be a little optimistic, as I do have to work during the next 3 months and I do have to go on holiday in August - I know, it's a bummer, but it has to be done.

Anyway, the whole point of this blog is to recommend The Writing Coach to anyone and everyone - well, provided you're a writer that is. Not much point otherwise - although it's so good, even if you're not a writer, you might like to become one.

Oh, and one other thing - don't be put off by the fact that Jacqui is now on Day 5 of the 30 days. Simply start your day 1 today. No excuses!

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually put a link to that in the Nantwich Writers' Group links directory. I can't see me being able to follow it though, but can see that it's ever so useful for those who can stick with 'plans'.

12:55 am  
Blogger Eva said...

Very interesting, Annie, but I think I'll pass. My daughter finishes school for the summer in a week and so I shall be hard-pressed to juggle work and writing...which may mean I need the course more than ever!

Good luck with it. Have fun!

1:35 pm  
Blogger Annie said...

An interesting and varied response - which confirms what I've always thought - one size does NOT fit all!

6:28 am  
Blogger Eva said...

Do keep us informed of your progress, Annie (and Stacy too).

Annie, is it time to start a new word counter? How much progress have you made?

1:20 pm  
Blogger Annie said...

Okay, Eva, if you insist! I finally caught up with the programme yesterday on Day 8, which has meant doing more than 1000 words a day, but I'm off work this week and have therefore had the time to do it. Next week, I'm back at work so it will be harder, but at least I'll only have to do one day (1000 words) at a time.

As for the word counter, yes, I suppose we could start it again. As a guestimate, the book should be approx 85,000 words. So far, I've managed 9,000 words (rounding it down), should only be 8,000 @ 1000 a day but some of my scenes have run on - a bit like this comment!

8:20 am  
Blogger Eva said...

Done! Good start btw, Annie.

1:24 pm  
Blogger Susan Rix said...

I've a confession to make: I've not been able to keep up with Jacqui's course, purely because this isn't the right time for me. BUT, this is what's so great about it. It contains excellent advice to refer to when you need it. It isn't necessary to follow it right here and now, it's for any time.

I'm glad it's working for you Annie. I'm hoping to begin it 'properly', in July.

12:10 pm  
Blogger Annie said...

Totally agree, MsCreativity.

4:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home