Thursday, May 04, 2006

Ebooks

Our pal Penny Jordan over at the Nantwich Writers' Group recently pointed us to an article in The Washington Post which reports what we've all known for years: Romance sells. And it sells big, generating 1.2 billion dollars' worth of sales in 2004 according to the RWA and accounting for 39.3 percent of all fiction sold in America (54.9 percent of mass-market paperback sales).

The article goes on to discuss Harlequin's success at appealing to niche markets and also touches on the burgeoning business of epublishing. Now, I see more of my computer screen than I do my family, but even I am resistant to the idea of reading a book via my laptop. I don't even like to read hardcover books because they're too bulky in bed. What will induce me to give ebooks a try? Any suggestions?

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Annie said...

Having yours published as an ebook perhaps? Or mine or Imogen's!

But I agree with you completely. I would never read a book on screen -(unless it was yours, mine or Imogen's, of course). I spend my working hours on screen, as well as my writing ones. My eyes couldn't take any more.

Besides, there's nothing nicer than curling up in bed or in the garden, beach or countryside with a soft paperback in your hand - and inhaling the scent of sun-ripened paper and print (or is that illegal?). It also comes in handy for swatting away flies and wasps and other annoying things that seem determined to interrupt your reading - like husbands and children. You just don't get that with a computer!

3:25 pm  
Blogger Eva said...

Now I know why you chose romantic comedy, Annie. You're hilarious!

(Still wondering if it's not comedic romance.)

4:13 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know we have to move with the times but I honestly can't imagine ever wanting to read an e-book, whether on a laptop or a pda, and I wouldn't want to have a book published as an ebook either. And I agree re hardbacks but not because of bed, rather because they don't fit nicely in my handbag.

10:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home