Saturday, April 29, 2006

The Mystery of Annie

A great title for a book - now I just have to add plot, storyline and some other characters! Sadly, I don't have time as I received my romantic comedy back from the publishers who didn't feel it was quite right for them although they did think I was a 'lovely writer'! So, what now? Well, I'm taking the advice of the wonderfully helpful RNA and the two readers who read my book, doing a touch of re-writing and then sending the book out to some agents. As Eva says, difficult to do a word count for this (part of my cunning plan!) although so far I can tell you it's a big fat nothing, as I've been too busy working. Funny that, whenever I'm doing the job that pays I'm 'working' but when I'm writing and not getting paid I'm indulging in my hobby - at least that's how others see it. I liken it to the training of athletes - nobody sees the years of hard work that go before they make it to the Olympics.

Two weeks after the rejection, I was greatly cheered to discover that a short story entered in a Writing News magazine competition had been shortlisted - so all is not lost!

Now, I really must go and start my re-writing, well, actually, I've got to start by re-reading the entire book as it's now over six months since I did any work on it - I wonder how many that will score on the word counter?!

Any ideas yet who I am?

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sitting here with my lips twisted into an impossible shape, finger stuck between them, wondering.... wondering.... and still don't have the foggiest idea! Can I have a clue, please? Pretty please?

2:26 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm open to bribes...

2:56 pm  
Blogger Eva said...

I'm not telling!

6:51 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[sits in corner sulking]

10:33 pm  
Blogger Annie said...

Ok, Sharon. Get your head out of the bucket and stop sulking - here's a clue. Think of a well-known nickname for pyjamas (yes, pyjamas). Once you have done that, consider what else this could mean. Now, cast your mind back to a summer's day in 2005 - a soft breeze, the hum of bees, the gentle clinking of glasses, the ceaseless chatter of writers...
Okay! That's enough for now AND it's more than one clue!
So, who am I?

(Wow! This is getting more like 'Through the Keyhole' every minute - except without the virtual tour of my home and without that man with the strange accent - but other than that...)

Also, it's harder than doing my re-writing, so I'm going back to that for a break!

5:35 pm  
Blogger Amanda Ashby said...

Coming in late, but have to say that I KNOW!!!

2:04 pm  
Blogger Annie said...

Amanda, you only know because you're a witch (and I mean that in the nicest possible way - honest!)

3:07 pm  
Blogger Amanda Ashby said...

Hehehe - yes, my witchy powers are well known!

10:06 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home