Tuesday, October 09, 2007

The year's last warm day

The year's last warm day is bittersweet. On Friday as I walked up the hill to my daughter's school, a light film of sweat on my skin, the sun hot on my bare arms and legs, I welcomed the cool, autumn wind promised by the leaves underfoot. Now that Thanksgiving has passed, and we've dug out our sweaters, jackets and fleece, I am already in mourning. No longer will I write with the windows wide open, the sounds from the street outside keeping me connected with the real world. Now the house is shut up tight, and here I sit, with only leaves, all shades of ocher, dancing outside my window.

Autumn is a lonely season.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoy the leaves! We had a glorious burst of autumn, then the winds came, and the poor trees look so bare and in need of a blanket.

11:48 pm  
Blogger Danielle Marie Peck said...

I agree, Autumn is a lonely season indeed. I am a Spring/Summer girl. I hate the cold, dark skies of Autumn/Winter. The naked trees and brown grass is depressing...I long for the return of summer.

4:55 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

I kind of love autumn, but you're absolutely right, it does have a feeling of solitariness about it. Maybe that's because it's giving us time to regroup before the madness of Christmas comes upon us...

9:47 am  
Blogger Eva said...

Christmas! Oh dear...

Our trees are far from bare and forlorn, Brown. By Halloween the landscape will look very different.

Marie, spring is a long way off. How ever will we manage?

12:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home