Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Keeping romance alive

Lest anyone get the wrong idea, nothing untoward has happened. Last week my husband went on his annual ski trip with the boys, that's all; during which time I had a devil of a time putting a bit of spice in my life. You know how it is: when deadlines are the only highlight of the week, amid racing both to and from school, fixing meals, doing laundry, attending to the kitchen sink, and squeezing in the many children's extra-curricular activities too...well, let's just say that sometimes it's difficult to recall the truly important things in life.

A few items helped keep love alive in dear hubby's absence:
  • An edition of Time magazine, in which I learned a great deal about the scientific side of romance—interesting, of course, but hardly the sort of reading that quickens the pulse.
  • The return of Lost, and a glimpse of long lost Sawyer (Josh Holloway). Sigh. Be still my heart.
  • A viewing on the weekend of Enchanted at the neighourhood cinema, a truly wonderful film.
  • A sneak preview of a dear friend's latest romance novel in galley form.
So all was not lost. By the time hubby returned home, muscles sore, fed up with living in a single hotel room with three other men, not to mention sick to death of male banter, drinking, and over-eating, I was in a fine state to welcome him home. I think next year he may skip the ski trip and whisk me away. This year, Valentine's Day came early!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

It sounds like a perfect few days. I don't know about the science of romance, but I guess there must be a formula somewhere that proves that days apart + time to indulge your own tastes = happy reunion!

9:48 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree--"Absence is to love what wind is to fire; it extinguishes the small, it inflames the great."

Lest you think me exceedingly clever, it was Comte de Bussy-Rabutin who said it.

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY, SCRIBES!!

May the chocolate cake be a tower and the laundry be a molehill.

5:12 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or maybe Christopher Marlow said it...ah well, someone said it, and it wasn't me...

5:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home