Friday, June 29, 2007

Poking fun at perfection

Nobody likes a goody two-shoes. Miss Perfect. Personal comparisons to Martha Stewart before her fall from grace. (Which these days conjures images of Paris Hilton—prison, as opposed to perfection doing the trick—which is another story entirely...or maybe not.)

nancy drewThat's why when my daughter was encouraged to read Nancy Drew, and soon grew tired of Nancy's ability to excel at everything, whether it be helping elderly ladies, knabbing robbers, sewing her own clothes, or otherwise solving all the world's ills, I didn't force the issue. I figured the books were outdated. It's another world these days. Books I enjoyed as a child my daughter should be under no obligation to read. After all, there have been thousands of spectacular children's books written since my youth. (And we won't go into how long ago that was!)

This past weekend we took in the new-ish Nancy Drew movie at our local cinema. We both loved it. Nancy was as perfect as ever, solving mysteries, reuniting family members, thwarting crooks. However, we, and Nancy herself, were encouraged and able to laugh at her OCD tendencies. Best of all, she was a teenager, perhaps not typical, but with all the usual teenage angst (okay, a little less than everyone else): making friends, fitting in, pleasing her father, longing for her mother.

Gosh, Nancy actually seemed human. And funny. Not to mention cute as a button. A perfect heroine, in fact.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean...a few years back, I thought I would collect the Nancy Drew books. I had read them as a child and wanted to have them in my library.

I bought a set of three and sat down to read the books and relive childhood...only I couldn't get past how perfect Nancy was. Though I must say that I throroughly enjoyed remembering all the memories the books conjured.

As for the movie, is it true that Julia Roberts' niece plays Nancy? I definitely want to take my 12 year old cousin to see it. I think she'll get a kick out of it, and if your reviews can be counted upon (which they always can), it'll be a fun afternoon out!

Thanks for the heads-up!

12:04 am  
Blogger Eva said...

Yes, Emma Roberts is Julia's niece. Go see the movie - you'll both love it!

9:45 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Excellent-- how great that for once a film ends up adding an extra layer to the original book, and improving on it. That doesn't happen very often!

Hadn't heard about this film, so hopefully it'll be heading over this way soon!

12:07 pm  
Blogger Amanda Ashby said...

OOOh, I can't wait to see this movie - I loved Nancy Drew as a kid, but of course Trixie Beldon was loads better (probably because she most definitely wasn't perfect!!!!)

1:14 pm  
Blogger Eva said...

Amanda, I read Trixie Beldon too! My mom dumped my old books on me years ago, and my daughter and I finally went through them a few months ago. The Trixie Beldon books are much more dog-eared than the Nancy Drews. Yet I can't remember a single plotline. We'll have to give them a go soon.

India, I'm trying to think of another film that improved upon the book...definitely having trouble.

6:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home