Sunday, September 03, 2006

Back to blog land

Two weeks walking the south west coastal path has left my feet even itchier than when we set out and made it even harder on my return to settle down at my desk and write.

But write I have done - mainly because I've paid my dues to the RNA New Writers' Scheme and want my money's worth! Actually, it's more about wanting to have the benefit of a published writer read my work and give me constructive criticism on it. This is the first year (of 3) that I haven't managed to submit a full ms, only reaching chapter 10 (of a probable 20) before the due date (31st August). In my defence, this was due to last year's submission being given a second read and being submitted by the RNA direct to a publisher. This meant that when the ms was returned to me by the publisher, together with the RNA feedback, I hadn't had sight of my work for six months and hadn't been able to really get going on anything new (other than that all important mental preparation) because I was concerned/hopeful the publishers might actually want my book and with that would come the inevitable revisions, which I thought would be more difficult to do if I was immersed in another book. Yeah, okay, I was stupidly optimistic back then!

Once reality hit home, I decided to stick with the book that had very nearly made it and been validated by the RNA readers, implement the feedback they'd given and try sending it out elsewhere. Hence, the new novel was placed firmly on the back burner once more and I only really got going on it a couple of months ago - which actually means that 10 chapters (46,000 words) is pretty damn good! Well done, me!

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Amanda Ashby said...

Good to see you back, Annie. Though I'm sure you do far too much excercise. Have I told you about my head falling off theory? One really does need to be careful!

And yay that you got as far on your manuscript as you did, you've done really well. I think everyone saved their NWS submissions until the deadline because I've just finished reading one and have two more to go (not yours though!).

3:23 pm  
Blogger Susan Rix said...

Well done Annie, that's a fantastic achievement!
Sue :-)

8:31 pm  
Blogger Eva said...

You said it, Annie: Well done! Glad you made it. And great to have you back!

9:04 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Are you telling me you made your deadline AND walked around the south coast too?

(Imogen despondently surveys daunting pile of revisions and leans over to move inspirational picure of slim, glamorous, successful Annie to more prominent postion on desk, as buttons strain across extra half stone accumulated this holiday.)

Well done you!

8:51 am  
Blogger Annie said...

Wow! How good is it to be back blogging? Thank you all for such a warm welcome. I feel quite overcome, but not so overcome that I didn't have a worrying moment when I read Amanda's comment about her head - the word 'theory' came just in time! Hope you're enjoying your NWS reading, Amanda! Sorry you didn't get mine - you could have said nice things about it!

Ah yes, Imogen, that picture. I meant to talk to you about that - when exactly did you find time to distribute it amongst all those shops selling photo frames?

2:37 pm  
Blogger Annie said...

Thanks, Brown. I think I may do just that!

5:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home