Thursday, August 17, 2006

Never been tagged before

It's a first. We've been tagged by Ms. Creativity. (Is it a form of cyber tag/tig? If so, it looks like we've been caught fair and square!)

The question is:
"If you could write a novel about any subject, what would it be?"
First of all, since we're all writers here, and therefore have presumably already exercised our right to choose a subject of interest, what is this question really asking? Perhaps...what might we write if we didn't have to worry about pitching, selling, market demand, making a mint, etc.?

Then, I'd venture to say:
I'd write a story featuring an unreliable narrator...first he lulls you in, you believe every word, and then by degrees you begin to wonder, to doubt, and ultimately to disregard him. When the axis upon which the book revolves is suddenly gone, the reader must find another character on which to depend for veracity. Even, perhaps, the heroine on whom the narrator has become fixated, his objectified obsession? Gad, could she be the character capable of providing the moral compass integral to the story, despite her many flaws?

[Now for the game. Scribes' Sanctuary, in turn, tags Sharon Jacobsen, provided she's online once again, Amanda Ashby, Stacy Holmes, and Brown over at the Romance Writers of Edmonton blog.]

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Eva said...

Good luck! (And, remember, it's meant to be FUN, unlike gym class!)

2:46 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

I was going to say I'd indulge my inner Edwardian and write a short, poetic, beautifully picturesque and poignant novel about English life on the eve of the Great War... But then I realised that that Isobel Colegate beat me to it when she wrote The Shooting Party, and I believe there's such a thing as a copyright law.

Instead I think I'd settle for a sizzling romance featuring an arrogant, emotionally screwed up Italian and a gawky, short-sighted English post-grad student with a firm grasp on the wrong end of the stick.

Two sets of revisions later and I'm nearly there...

9:37 am  
Blogger Eva said...

As for me, I can say I'm thoroughly enjoying Imogen's response to the question!

The truth is I shelved that book after hitting the halfway mark, and feeling utterly lost and adrift. But, don't worry, I intend to return to it someday...

["Someday, someday.." trills the song in Eva's cluttered head.]

6:14 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! Another tag? I just did one yesterday! Err... can I have a few days before I leap into this one? I mean, what's another few days between friends when I'm already almost a month late? I'll let you know when I've posted it.

12:19 pm  
Blogger Eva said...

Take as long as you need, Sharon! Your response is worth waiting for...

2:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home