Tuesday, June 06, 2006

The edification continues

Julie Cohen, Harlequin Mills & Boon (HMB) as well as Headline author, has written a superb post about revising. For the past week or so she's been holding visitors to her blog enthralled with the story of how she got her second manuscript, Delicious, to publication. As you can guess, it was a long process. (Sigh, is there any other way?)

I don't know what got into me, but over the weekend I re-read my first manuscript, the one currently sitting with HMB. I think it had something to do with Miss Snark's advice to "query and query widely" and my half-hearted decision to send the book out again — after all, the Richmond office has had the full manuscript seven months now!

Of course, guess what happened after I read it...I decided it needs a quick edit. Gad, the sentences are so long and ponderous. And talk about passive participles. Aya caramba!

Julie takes the first couple of paragraphs of her first draft of Delicious and shows us step-by-step how she revised it, resulting in a cleaner, leaner style and a vibrant, modern voice. The whole piece comes alive in an instant. Since she's a writer and a teacher, she doesn't tell, she shows.

Don't waste any more time here. Go check it out!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Stacy Dawn said...

Yes, it's been interesting reading up on her trial and tribulations with Delicious

12:51 pm  
Blogger Annie said...

Julie's blog is excellent - I think it takes a brave soul to bare the bad stuff to the world as well as the good. It's also encouraging to know that Julie didn't start off as the accomplished writer she is today - it took time for her to perfect her craft. Why should it be any different for us?

Oh, Eva, I know where you are coming from. Even on my latest re-write, the original of which the RNA readers liked enough to send direct to publishers, I see my writing has changed. I'm sure it's a good thing - it shows we are constantly evolving - and, hopefully, improving!

8:11 am  
Blogger Eva said...

Definitely the writing is improving and the style evolving. Still, I'm torn between carrying on with the second and revisiting the first. I think the former might be the best strategy...or a combination of the two, who knows?!

Any comments, folks?

1:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home